The Early Bird Catches The worm #2
According to a new study published online in the British Journal of Nutrition, people who exercise early in the morning on an empty stomach burn more fat.
Researchers at Northumbria University asked 12 physically active men to hit treadmills in the morning—some on an empty stomach, and some who had eaten breakfast. The results showed two significant findings: Early workouts didn’t cause participants to feel hungrier or eat more throughout the day, and those who exercised in a fasted state also burned 20 percent more fat than those who had eaten breakfast.
This news may be easy enough for early birds to swallow, but what if you’re the type of person who has a profound relationship with your snooze button?
Here are seven tips to take advantage of a study like this.
- Sleep in your workout gear Your gym shorts and sweatshirt are comfortable already, so why make an additional change before you exercise? “Sleep in your workout gear . Sometimes the extra 10 minutes it takes to get dressed is the difference between showing up or ditching it.”
- Wake up and smell the coffee Auto-set your coffee maker in the evening, before you hit the hay. “Studies show that the smell of coffee energizes you. So the smell of brewing coffee in the morning will get you going even before you get out of bed.”
- Stretch while sleepy-eyed When the alarm goes off hit snooze, and then start stretching in bed to wake up. Here is a recommended stretching routine a)Piriformis stretch. Bend your right knee, and cross it over your other leg. Pull your knee into your chest. Repeat with the other side. b) Spine and upper body stretch. Extend your legs out straight, extend your arms overhead, and then reach. c) Hamstring stretch. Bend your left knee slightly, and extend your right leg up toward the ceiling. Gently pull your leg at the ankle or knee towards your head. Repeat with the other side.
- Set your alarm to blood-pumping beats Are Rihanna and Gaga on your workout playlist? If that’s what livens you up, make a rockin’ song your wake-up call. “Set your alarm to kick-ass music. Fast-paced music gets us going and the heart rate moving.”
- Make it habitual Don’t think of morning workouts as forever, which will be too daunting a challenge for reformed night owls. Just find a way to get up 21 days in a row. “21 days will make a habit . The more you work out in the morning, the more you’ll get used to it. Schedule your morning workouts in the beginning of the week and stick to them.”
- Commit to a short workout If you feel too tired at the start of your workout for a full hour, convince yourself to put in just 15 good minutes instead. “The shorter amount of time commitment will get you out of bed quicker then its real easy to stay for longer. Remember this the greater the struggle to get out of bed the more fulfilling the resulting workout. You will feel much better about yourself if you win that battle more often than not
- Drink up While this new study suggests you should exercise on an empty stomach. this does not apply to water. Drink your litre of water before hitting the gym. “Put a litre bottle of water by your bed and drink it first thing, water energizes and refreshes the body, and gets you going.”
Our morning sessions at Belize Fit Body Clinic are Monday Wednesday and Friday 5:30 am to 6:30 am at Rogers Stadium in Belize City and Tuesday & Thursday at Orange Walk Wellness Centre in Orange Walk, rain or shine. Call text or email me now for seasonal specials! Be the first to call and win a FREE 21 Day Rapid Fat L0ss Fitness & Weight-loss program! 600 4475